Turbo Ranger Forums  

Go Back   Turbo Ranger Forums > Drag Racing > Drag Racing
Googlemap ME
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Award Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
AirBender
TRF Tech Advisor

Userid: 547
Default the good and the bad....

ok, here's the deal, i got talked into going to the drag strip tomorrow or today i guess.... the good... the car is running strong and the clutch issue is fixed....... the bad,,, i still dont have the boost coontroler hooked up so im runnin somewhere inbetween 11 and 15 lbs... but i swear the thing feels really good right now.... i am going to make a couple runs on the street tires and then switch to the et streets and see what it does... im going to leave the boost where it lies right now.... my buddy has a new video cam so hopefully i get some good shots of the car to post up... ill let you all know sunday how it went, good or bad......

75 turbo pinto .....built to go......
73 turbo pinto wagon
92 ranger about to be turboed
07 softail deluxe
72 f100
98 gator
08 300C
when shit hits the fan,,, you better not be on the down wind side of things...
AirBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
jfive
The Patient Ninja

Userid: 878

Well I will pray that it goes good for you. Definately get video. Make sure the battery is charged before leaving, and have room on disk, or hard drive. What you shooting for? 11.23 is my guess if your not drinking and missing shifts LOL.
1984 Ford Ranger 2.3 one barrel. 5speed. long box waiting for 351w, turbo.
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
AirBender
TRF Tech Advisor

Userid: 547

ive never been on a drag strip before and the clutch is really stiff now so im just hoping for some clean passes without breaking anything..... 11s in street atire would be nice.... specially at this low boost level..

75 turbo pinto .....built to go......
73 turbo pinto wagon
92 ranger about to be turboed
07 softail deluxe
72 f100
98 gator
08 300C
when shit hits the fan,,, you better not be on the down wind side of things...
AirBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
Oldmandan
TRF Senior Member

Userid: 663

good luck

Volvo 8v(530) head- Ported, Bronze guides, 48/40mm SS valves.

If you lend someone $20.00 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Oldmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
jfive
The Patient Ninja

I think your reaction time is gonna be your biggest learning curve. A guy I know that has an amazing reaction time, goes off the last yellow light before the green. Sometimes he red lights, but 9 times out of 10 he is off like a rocket while the other guy is still sitting there. What did you do for your rear suspension, or is that something that might need some attention after the races. I was guessing you'd be in the 11s based on you using the et slicks. Also watch some et slick videos to see how to warm up the tires, cause from what I understand, that is somewhat crutial. I have heard 2 to 3 secs after smoke starts, and then let off the brakes and run it out for 20 ft. is a great starting point.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
fordnut71
TRF Senior Member

Userid: 36

get it down the track 1st, worry about how to stage an race later. this should be good i cant wait to see this.
fordnut71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
BogusSVO
TRF Senior Member

Userid: 930

yes learning on what heartbeat to leav on on the last yellow can be tricky!

go out and have fun, you can pratice your launches another time.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
AJ_Fritz
TRF Tech Advisor Weld/fab

Userid: 492

to get the butter flies out at the light... dont even look at it after you stage and the lights drop. let it go green and feel the car out. there is way to many things to get right on a first time out. concentrate on launching the car right. no bogs, no spins, no hooking one direction or the other. every stop sign should be a practice launch on the way there. the strip will be grease compared to the street with street tires on.

with street tires do not do a water box burn out. pull out and turn at the last second and let every one elses rubber scuff the dirt off your tires then do a dry hop, a hard enough dump on the clutch to get the tires to make atleast one or two revolution and motor it out ten feet. then stage it. roll up till you trip the first light and stop and then pull up again to just barely trip the second light. let the bulbs go and launch it when your ready. your after an ET not an RT. i usually try to govern 4000 rpm balancing the clutch and launching the car as hard as i possibly can without spinning the tires while slipping the clutch out. after the clutch is hooked then its only about a heart beat till second gear is slapped with the throttle pinned to the mat and a stab at the clutch.

barely tripping the second stage light is called shallow staging and gives you a head start on your ET, because the clock dont start until your tires roll out of the beam, and thats about a half a turn.

Need to keep your Air Conditioning or dont want to modify your heater box on a 1983-2001 Ranger check here for all the details!

It's the one and only way to turbocharge your Ranger and keep your factory A/C without modifying the heater/AC box and keeping the durability of a factory Ford E6(1986) turbocharger manifold.
AJ_Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
jfive
The Patient Ninja

Well I am sure that he is allready at the track, but when I go see novice racing, the biggest problems I see are traction, and leaving late. Good to know about the staging light trick AJ. Haven't ever heard about that. I just figured it went by the light. Anyways, I have done about 15 races, but only 200ft drags at our local circle track. We were allowed to have a night of racing using the straight away, and we used the red yellow green light they had to start. We had two camera men to have proof of the win, and any pre launches. Worked pretty good if you ask me, but would have liked to of done the 1/8th mile races that we had this summer.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
AJ_Fritz
TRF Tech Advisor Weld/fab

Userid: 492

staging is how you cure chronic red light.

Need to keep your Air Conditioning or dont want to modify your heater box on a 1983-2001 Ranger check here for all the details!

It's the one and only way to turbocharge your Ranger and keep your factory A/C without modifying the heater/AC box and keeping the durability of a factory Ford E6(1986) turbocharger manifold.
AJ_Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote