Turbo Ranger Forums  

Go Back   Turbo Ranger Forums > Drag Racing > Drag Racing
Googlemap ME
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Award Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #21
Touring23
TRF Member

Userid: 614

Yeah, my original battery space is gone, too. :frown:

I can see the need for a switch, to protect emergency crews from the
ocassional nut who wires his Civic power with left-over speaker wire.
However, could they make it any more complicated?! It's like something out of a Monty Python sketch!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #22
fordnut71
TRF Senior Member

Userid: 36

an i thought nagelandy did a very good job with the diragram. hes showing you what you have now an how to wire it up with the switch installed an make it legal so it will shut off once you turn off the switch.
me personally also use to think its a bunch of bull also , till i seen a stang catch fire in st louis at the mobil 1. in the 1st 60' the blower belt came off an wraped around the fuel line tearing it out an the pump pushed the fuel on the hot header causing a fire. the driver was trying to stop, a track side worker jumped the wall as the car went by an hit the switch . it saved the car from burning to the ground.
fordnut71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #23
nagelandy55

Userid: 30

Ok so here's what i'm gonna do.

Add two more starter relays.

One 6" from the battery with phony wires hanging off of it to fool the tech inspectors into thinking it does something
And the other one next to the original starter relay so i don't have to run the alternator wire all the way to the back.
I will then put a shutoff switch behind the lisence plate so i only have to take the plate off to race.

This way i only have to run the signal wire for the relay in the engine bay to the switch behind the plate.

This may not be 100% within the NHRA rules but i'm sure it'll fool most tech inspectors.

What are your thoughts?
2.1 Bo-port Cam
Turbo Rods & Pistons
60# Injectors
PMAS HPX MAF - Blow Through
T3/T04B - Stock dp to 3" Exhaust
T5 Swap with B&M short throw
AEM Water/Meth
nagelandy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #24
roadkill
TRF Member

Userid: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelandy55 View Post
Ok so here's what i'm gonna do.

Add two more starter relays.

One 6" from the battery with phony wires hanging off of it to fool the tech inspectors into thinking it does something
And the other one next to the original starter relay so i don't have to run the alternator wire all the way to the back.
I will then put a shutoff switch behind the lisence plate so i only have to take the plate off to race.

This way i only have to run the signal wire for the relay in the engine bay to the switch behind the plate.

This may not be 100% within the NHRA rules but i'm sure it'll fool most tech inspectors.

What are your thoughts?

sounds like it would work as long as they dont inspect the phoney one to much.........
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #25
fordnut71
TRF Senior Member

if they doubt it works right they will make you start it an then shut it off by the switch to make sure its wired right.
the relay dont have to be next to the box it can still be left in the stock location
Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
nagelandy55

The setup will definitely work, the shutdown relay just won't be 6" from the battery.
2.1 Bo-port Cam
Turbo Rods & Pistons
60# Injectors
AEM Water/Meth
Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #27
fordnut71
TRF Senior Member

ok, you know what your doing lol
Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #28
D94R
Admin, you moth fockle!

Userid: 28

This is a really good technical idea Nagelandy, but you can really really simplify this, pass inspection, and not be trying to fool tech inspection.

Instead of having the Alt wire running to the relay, run it directly to the battery. Then put the cutoff switch between the battery and the starter relay.

Since the battery post and relay post are the same point electrically, moving the Alt wire from one to the other won't have any affect. Then when the cutoff switch is used. There is no longer any power going to the relay, no matter the state of the battery or the Alt.

The dual/phony starter relay to me is over engineering a very simple delima. As well, I don't think using a relay to kill the power qualify's. As I've understood it, you need DIRECT disconnect of the battery power. Not disconnect through a relay.

Oops, now I reread this thread and this is essentially the same thing Fordnut first said.
1994 2.3 XLT Turbo
Plans: 2.3 Duratec, 2.3 head, Crane Stg3 Cams, MegaSquirtII V3.0, Large NPR, HE351, 4" Full Exhaust with 4" Cutout, 30PSI

My Ranger Rebuild

Last edited by D94R; 03-04-2009 at 05:01 PM..
D94R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #29
Riddle_Rob
"Tranny Ninja"

Userid: 13

Mark's right. They are actually required to check to see if the cutoff is working if you have one. I watched a fake one fail before. The tech said ok, start the car just randomly... and he walked around back and tried to turn it off. No go. Car failed tech haha. BUT the guy had a chance to fix it.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #30
nagelandy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
This is a really good technical idea Nagelandy, but you can really really simplify this, pass inspection, and not be trying to fool tech inspection.

Instead of having the Alt wire running to the relay, run it directly to the battery. Then put the cutoff switch between the battery and the starter relay.

Since the battery post and relay post are the same point electrically, moving the Alt wire from one to the other won't have any affect. Then when the cutoff switch is used. There is no longer any power going to the relay, no matter the state of the battery or the Alt.

The dual/phony starter relay to me is over engineering a very simple delima. As well, I don't think using a relay to kill the power qualify's. As I've understood it, you need DIRECT disconnect of the battery power. Not disconnect through a relay.

Oops, now I reread this thread and this is essentially the same thing Fordnut first said.
If you looked at the pic thats basically what i'm trying to do ...... at least from what you've written thats what i think your saying

What is the difference between a direct disconnect and an interposing relay?
2.1 Bo-port Cam
Turbo Rods & Pistons
60# Injectors
AEM Water/Meth