Turbo Ranger Forums  

Go Back   Turbo Ranger Forums > Under the Hood > Duratec General discussion
Googlemap ME
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Award Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #231
rangergt
TRF Dura Tech Advisor

Userid: 675

I did a little more inspection on the 2.5 head, it's the same as the 2.3 except the intake port has the roof of the port opening raised but it's only at the opening, the throat of the port is identical. I really don't think it is anything special, I could duplicate the port opening on a 2.3 head with about 10 min work on each port and the 2.3 head does have the room to do that (I know since I cut one in half). There have been claims that the 2.5 head flows 40cfm over the 2.3 head, I say bull$hit, I don't buy it. It's essentially a 2.3 port with a "port match" done to raise the roof at the opening only, so I highly doubt that accounts for 40cfm, maybe 15cfm (and I think I'm being generous). Once I get into flow testing I'll share the results and if I'm wrong, well I'll admit it. I'd really like to believe that I am wrong cause 40 cfm a hell of an improvement but I just don't think that I am.

First 10 second duratec/mzr, before the ecoboost bandwagon started
10.97 with standard 10mm arp 8740 head studs (and likely the only one) 11/11/12

The Quest for 9's continues...
rangergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #232
Gingy

Userid: 2943

thanks jsv for pointing me here.

Time to go blind and crazy reading through this thread.

*edit* annnnnd several hours later I'm done reading through this thread. Wow! Thanks GT for all the effort.

Last edited by Gingy; 12-17-2014 at 02:31 AM..
Gingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:11 AM   #233
Gingy

Userid: 2943

oh yeah first set of pics in this thread gave me a bit of a laugh.

did the same with a 16v head from a VW.

Gingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #234
BillE

Userid: 2286

If hoping for a ring gear to make a flywheel, seems the MZR flexplate isn't a source....although you'll save on postage! Seems it's friction welded on and a different ID. Understand the duratec flexplate is only tacked...manual flywheels have separate ones of course.

Grabbed an early 2 litre pump too, surprised with the roller chain drive there...cost savings changing to morse?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (198.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (207.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (204.4 KB, 16 views)
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #235
Leafy

Userid: 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
If hoping for a ring gear to make a flywheel, seems the MZR flexplate isn't a source....although you'll save on postage! Seems it's friction welded on and a different ID. Understand the duratec flexplate is only tacked...manual flywheels have separate ones of course.

Grabbed an early 2 litre pump too, surprised with the roller chain drive there...cost savings changing to morse?
Flexplate seems perfect. Just send her off to quatermaster to get built into a twin disk for 8 hundo ish.

Great thread I stumbled on here looking for how to setup the oil feed without some janky T on the oil pressure sender. Did that guy ever hear about drilling and tapping the DISI motor oil feed on the exhaust side of the block? That would be optimal.

*Edit after looking at the 2.5 block, unlike the older mazda motors it doesnt seem to have all the bosses cast in an just left unused so thats a nogo for that oil feed.

Last edited by Leafy; 06-01-2016 at 09:47 PM..
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #236
Robertvon

Userid: 3430

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergt View Post
All the blocks are aluminum. The ranger block is not machined for balance shafts so it has a bit more structure in the block. This may or may not make a difference but if I was selecting a block for high horsepower I would only use a ranger block, jmo.

If your looking to build 1000+ hp then the only thing you will be using is the block as everything else should be brand new unless your starting with a very low mileage engine. A lot of things still need to be changed including the crank timing gear (one with a keyway) and the cam timing gears should be, to adjustable timing gears as well as the timing chain tensioner.

The 2.3 focus head is the best casting and the ford cnc head and cosworth head both start with this casting. The ford cnc head has stock intake valve size and a + 0.5mm exhaust valve. The cosworth head has +1mm valves on both intake and exhaust as well as more extensive porting and chamber work.

RangerGt , what is the casting # for the focus 2.3 head so I can make sure i get the correct one it would be greatly appreciated been reading on this forum for days and couldnt find it unless I over looked
Robertvon is offline   Reply With Quote